From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd mount - what on earth is it doing ...
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 20:31:12
1 On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 2:25 PM antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > This is weird ...
4 >
5 > My /home directory is set up somewhat strangely, as in I've got two raw
6 > partitions, I've put dm-integrity on them, raided them together, then
7 > put lvm on top of that.
10 > Which got me into a bind with fstab. I've created a systemd service,
11 > which fires up dm-integrity on those two partitions. But I get the
12 > impression it doesn't run until fstab completes. Catch-22 - fstab tries
13 > to mount /home, but it can't until dm-integrity has made the volume appear!
16 Have you tried using Before=local-fs.target in the service? Or even
17 Before=local-fs-pre.target?
18
19 So I created a systemd mount unit for /home, which only runs after
20 > dm-integrity. Great - I enabled it and it appeared to work!
23 You removed the /home entry from fstab, right?
26 > Only problem, startplasma-wayland now dumped me at a blank screen.
27 >
28 > Now for the weirdo. I disabled it, thinking I would have to log in as
29 > root, mount /home, and go from there. Except that, when I logged in,
30 > /home was mounted and startplasma-wayland worked!
33 That sounds like /home was still on fstab...
36 > systemctl tells me mount.home is disabled, but also tells me that it ran
37 > and mounted the drive.
40 That should be home.mount. What does systemctl status home.mount says?
43 > So what on earth is going on, and more importantly, what am I
44 > misunderstanding or doing wrong. I would very much like to know why it's
45 > working, when I think it shouldn't be!
48 Regards.
49 --
50 Dr. Canek Peláez Valdés
51 Profesor de Carrera Asociado C