From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why would portage not update a package?
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 03:56:59
1 On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 21:05:36 -0400, Dave Nebinger wrote:
2
3 > > > Ah, but if it is installed it must have been a dependency somewhere
4 > > > or in place as a result of a direct emerge.
5 > >
6 > > At some point, yes. Doesn't mean it is so now.
7 >
8 > Well I should have qualified it by saying that I don't clean out
9 > packages; when I install something it is because I want to try it out
10 > and/or use it. When I stop using the package, it still stays installed.
11
12 Even if it blocks something else you want to try? You don't always have
13 the option of leaving unused packages lying around, sometimes you have to
14 uninstall them to install something else.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?