From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: testing a corrupt SD card
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2009 16:47:49
1 Iain Buchanan <iaindb <at> netspace.net.au> writes:
4 > Does that mean my memory card is good to go, or should I use some other
5 > method of bad sector detection?
6
7 Hello Iain,
10 Hard to tell. Even repeated memory tests may/maynot find your gremlin,
11 i.e. bad memory. Also, just because it failed once, does not
12 mean the mem/card is bad. Transients occur giving false bit readings.
13 Sometimes you can delve into how the memory is actually made, but,
14 most vendors protect that info, with NDA and such, mostly smoke screens.
15
16 Here are a couple of links for your perusal:
17
18 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital_card#SDHC
19
20 http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/OEM/Manuals/SD_SDIO_specsv1.pdf
23 Sorry, there is not a clear answer. Keep it for non critical needs,
24 upgrade to SDHC(fat 32) if your equipment supports that format.
25 Fat 32 on top of the memory, helps with (bit)error masking with
26 some enhance (undocumented) feature not part of fat 32. This is
27 what makes reverse engineering, complicated on SD memory.
28 You may need to upgrade the firmware of your equipment to support
29 newer SD standards (SD 1.1 and SD 2.0).
32 Good luck and good hunting (mate).....
35 James