From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 20:41:35
1 On Wednesday 04 February 2009 18:55:07 Momesso Andrea wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 03:59:44PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Wednesday 04 February 2009 15:31:26 Momesso Andrea wrote:
4 > > > My question can be put like this: Do binary distro's per package
5 > > > optimiziations override the benefit of having arch specific
6 > > > optimiziations that gentoo allows?
7 > >
8 > > That can only be answered with valid benchmarks on paper in front of you.
9 > >
10 > > Have you performed valid benchmark tests?
11 >
12 > Nope, if I had there would have been no reason to ask... :)
13
14 Then your question is nonsensical and is best answered as:
15
16 mu
17
18 As so many others have stated, the mythical performance benefits of gentoo are
19 no longer applicable in the main. When i386 was the standard optimization
20 things were different, but no longer.
21
22 The major benefit of Gentoo to most users is USE, not CFLAGS
26 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com