From: Jeremi Piotrowski <jeremi.piotrowski@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [WAS: keyboard stops working] Recent kernels block the loading of non-GPL kernel modules
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 12:31:23
1 On Wed, 19 Aug 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > It sounds like you not only expect them to comply with the license,
4 > but also with the kernel devs personal interpretation of copyright
5 > law.
6
7 What is a license but a statement of the intent of the authors as to what
8 can and can't be done with their work? Well, it does have some legal force
9 too...
10
11 If you'd try to take away their right to decide about that next thing
12 they'd do is modify the license to be even larger and explicitly cover all
13 corner cases. But the world of licenses is complex enough so the next best
14 thing is saying "this is GPLv2 and we consider this to be derived work".
15 You can try to bypass that but will hit walls such as EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL.
16 And intent does matter in copyright law, if explicitly stated as in this
17 case.
20 > I think the real issue here is what constitutes a "derived work." I
21 > suspect the GPU legal teams have given these practices a thumbs-up,
22 > and there is probably a reason that the Linux foundation hasn't tried
23 > to sue them over it.
24
25 That has always been the issue but I'll allow myself to quote an email
26 on the matter:
27
28 ---
29 Newsgroups: fa.linux.kernel
30 From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@××××.org>
31 Subject: Re: Linux GPL and binary module exception clause?
32 Original-Message-ID: <Pine.LNX.4.58.0312040753550.2055@×××××××××.org>
33 Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 15:59:35 GMT
34 Message-ID: <fa.j5ccqt9.1e20lop@×××××××.no>
35