From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] eth0 link down
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:06:45
1 hello,
2
3 I have a portable that has been working great. Now, the eth0 link
4 does not stay up. If I watch the system boot, all looks fine.
5 Looking at 'dmesg' the relevant entry are:
6
7 eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0x2000, 00:90:f5:2b:cb:18, IRQ 11
8 eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/1839D'
9 <snip>
10 [drm] Setting GART locaatoin based on new memory map
11 [drm] Loading R200 Microcode
12 [drm] writeback test succeded in 1 usecs
13 'eth0: link down'
14
15 I do not think that 'drm has anything to do with this, but I do not
16 remember it in my dmesg before on this system. Perhaps updateding
17 something on the windows side (corrupted the bios?)......
18
19 I've rebuild the kernel and the realtek driver is built into the kernel.
20 etho, the built in realtek chips has always worked before. I keep
21 several older kernels around and
22 ready to use in grub.conf. They all suffer the same problem.
23 ifconfig -a and netstat -nr look normal (similar to other workstations
24 on the same ethernet segment).
25
26 I've double check /etc/conf.d/ and /etc/init.d/ and all of the files
27 and links are correct.
28
29 I have notice that /etc/init.d/net.lo got upgraded during an routine
30 'emerge -uDNvp world' (no I did not save the older version)
31 but, I'm hoping that's not the problem.
32
33 I know the ethernet chip is good because the portable works fine
34 booted into windows2K. I have switched ethernet cables with a known good
35 cable and that is not the problem either.
36
37 Any ideas or suggestions are most welcome.
40 James
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list