From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Understanding new ruby dependencies
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 09:06:13
1 On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 10:13 PM, <kwkhui@××××.net> wrote:
2 > I suggest keeping an eye on ${PORTDIR}/profiles/desc directory too.
3 > This is where every one of the USE_EXPAND variables is explained in
4 > details.
5
6 Thank you for all your patient help. I've been using Gentoo for years
7 and for some reason this RUBY thing has me flustered.
8
9 1. What on my system is insisting on make.conf RUBY 1.9 USE_EXPAND
10 changes? An emerge --tree is not giving me a clear answer (as it
11 usually does). The original post in this thread provides a pastebin
12 link to back up this claim.
13
14 2. If the answer to (1) is "the gentoo system itself", then why
15 doesn't "the gentoo system itself" update the USE_EXPAND by adding a
16 reference to ruby19? It appears "the gentoo system itself" presently
17 only enables the ruby18 USE_EXPAND.
18 base $ find /usr/portage/profiles/ | xargs grep RUBY_TARGETS=
19 /usr/portage/profiles/base/make.defaults:RUBY_TARGETS="ruby18"
20
21 3. If the answer to (1) is "package foo", I'm tempted to remove
22 package foo or USE it with -ruby or "eat my words" and admit that I am
23 a RUBY user and need to understand the nuances.
24
25 4. I run a "stable" system that is somehow insisting on ruby19. This
26 webpage http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/prog_lang/ruby/index.xml says
27 ruby19 is not for use on production systems. Why the disconnect?
28 Perhaps the ruby page is just out of date.
29
30 5. I have no idea what RUBY is and have never installed it directly.
31 Yet I have to understand RUBY USE_EXPANDs which seem to be described
32 only in the RUBY installation guide, gentoo dev manual, or in ebuild
33 scripting guides. I am a gentoo "layperson" in general and am
34 completely clueless about RUBY in particular. I believe talk about
35 this "required and automatically installed package" should appear not
36 in obscure dev documentation, but in the handbook. Perhaps with more
37 time/volunteers this would have happened.
38
39 6. Why does emerge insist on me adding USE="ruby_targets_ruby19" to a
40 bunch of projects, yet the users of this group recommend a change in
41 make.conf? I suspect the disconnect that the two approaches are
42 equivalent, just emerge does not have the "street smarts" to recommend
43 the proper change.
44
45 Thank you for listening to me list the issues I am ignorant on. Now
46 I'm going to add RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19" to my make.conf and hope things
47 "just work".
48
49 Thank you again,
50