From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] VFS: cannot open root device "hdd2" on unknown-block(0,0)
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:49:37
1 On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:12:07 +0100, Kristian Poul Herkild wrote:
2
3 > I've googled for hours as well, but I have no clues but one: Enabling
4 > support for the PCI IDE/PATA Controller apparently pushes the device
5 > names for the on-board IDE/PATA controller (e.g. /d_ev/hdd becomes
6 > /dev/hdh).
7 >
8 > Is that even possible? That the extra PCI ATA-Controller takes
9 > precedence over the on-board Controller?
10
11 There is a kind of logic to that; if you fit a bootable PCI controller,
12 there's a good chance you want to boot from it, so it appears first.
13
14 If your root partition is not on this controller's disks, you can compile
15 the driver as a module, then /dev/hd[a-d] will already be allocated to
16 the onboard controller before it is loaded.
20 Neil Bothwick
21
22 Never ask a geek why, just nod your head and slowly back away