From: Indi <thebeelzebubtrigger@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Threads changing Was: OT: website design
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 12:39:49
1 On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 12:41:42PM +0100, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 05 Jun 2011 12:17:08 Indi wrote:
3 > >
4 > > If I were driven strictly by aesthetic concerns qt and kde4
5 > > might be my choices, as they can be extremely pleasant to look
6 > > at. Heh, reminds me of my ex -- he was very pleasant to look at
7 > > (and a huge amount of constant maintenance work) as well. ;)
8 >
9 > I think that your problem is that you are running ~arch and this comes with
10 > frequent updates. These days I'm running stable and my qt, kde or OOo updates
11 > are quite infrequent (like twice a year or may be less).
14 Twice a year or less, *really*?
15 Had no idea the difference between stable and testing was that huge...
16 Of course the reason I'm running testing is that typically, when I
17 install there are inevitably two or three things I can't live without
18 that don't work in stable so I start with the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS fiddling,
19 and eventually that snowballs into a level of complexity which
20 frustrates me and then I just end up putting "~x86" in make.conf.
21
22 Anyway, I do use some gtk stuff as well as wmaker and fluxbox and
23 those work (mostly) fine without having to be constantly fooled with.
24 Sometimes gtk or vte breaks and I have to resort to urxvt instead of
25 my beloved terminator while fixing things, but that's acceptably
26 infrequent.
27
28 > I have to admit though that now the mutt can work as a multi-function client I
29 > am tempted to reinstall it and give it a another go ...
32 Can't beat mutt, at least if you're keyboard-oriented.
33 Nothing else comes close.
36 caveat utilitor