From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] boot problems
Date: Sun, 04 May 2014 18:49:06
1 On Sunday, May 04, 2014 01:15:51 PM Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sat, 03 May 2014 20:40:47 +0200, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > > * SystemRescueCD and the Gentoo minimal installation CD both start
4 > > > any raid arrays they find and apply their own names to them. It is
5 > > > then impossible, or so I thought, to resume an interrupted
6 > > > installation process. Of course, all I had to do was "mdadm
7 > > > --stop /dev/md127" etc.
8 > >
9 > > Yes, I noticed that annoyance myself. I would much prefer it to default
10 > > to more logical names.
11 >
12 > ISTR that's because of the hostname stored in the RAID, so when you plug
13 > the array into another computer, it doesn't clobber any existing array
14 > names. I had this happen when transplanting an array to a new system.
15 > There is a sequence of commands to reset the names but it was a while ago
16 > and all I remember is that the sequence started with "man lvm".
17
18 Actually, the steps are:
19 1) invalidate the RAID
20 2) create a new, broken, RAID using the invalidatd disk
21 3) copy data to new RAID
22 4) delete md127
23 5) add other disk from md127 to md1
24
25 Or something to that effect.
26 A "rename" option or even a "I_KNOW_WHAT_I_AM_DOING_JUST_KEEP_THE_SAME_NAME"
27 option, which would be enabled by default when booting with sysresccd, would
28 be nice.
31 Joost