From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Emerge and CPU core usage
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 08:02:36
1 Top posting? You?
4 On 13 December 2019 08:36:08 CET, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >Howdy,
6 >
7 >I don't recall seeing the thread on the forums but it sort of sounds a
8 >lot like what I was reading on -dev as to why it is not.  Basically, it
9 >would be a complex and difficult piece of code.  According to some, it
10 >could even create problems that don't exist now, depending on what
11 >dependencies may pop into the process.
12 >
13 >It would be nice IF it could be done and really help with the time it
14 >takes to calculate but it sounds like it might not even help much if it
15 >was coded that way.  I guess it won't be done anytime soon.  It seems
16 >like for good reason but it would be nifty.
17 >
18 >I might add, I think that forum thread was way earlier than the posts
19 >on
20 >-dev.  I think the discussion on -dev was only a few years ago.  All in
21 >all, the emerge command has come a long ways since I started uses
22 >Gentoo
23 >back in 2003.
24 >
25 >Thanks for the info.
26
27 I do think it can be done and should make it quicker.
28 If done correctly, the hack of "backtracking" won't be needed anymore as well.
29
30 Portage is a database and should be handled that way as well. Then for every package in the "install set" a thread can be started to check all the requirements.
31 For each requirement, if it is already met, fine. If not, a new thread to check that. Result of each is what is needed. Any conflicts can be identified and handled by the calling thread.
32
33 This should scale, provided the entire tree can be loaded into memory quickly.
36 Joost
41 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.