From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xorg-x11 screwup
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 20:23:55
1 On Sunday 02 July 2006 21:19, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
2 > Matthew R. Lee wrote:
3 > > is done. I wasn't convinced, however I tried rebooting. No X, so I
4 > > logged in and issued 'startx', nothing so I checked '/usr/bin/startx',
5 > > it's not there, clearly it hadn't installed x So back to
6 > > xorg-x11-6.8.2.-r8. I've
7 >
8 > This is a really weird issue that's been coming up, where the packages
9 > are "installed" but files are missing. What filesystem(s) are you using?
10 >
11 > > tried another emerge --sync to see if that would fix the problem but no
12 > > joy. So the question is, how do I force portage to down load and
13 > > recompile the packages from scratch?
14 >
15 > You could try `emerge -ep xorg-x11`.
16
17 When user upgrades to modular X.org there is a block that requires him to
18 remove xorg-x11-6.8*. Then the user upgrades, reboots and finds out there is
19 something wrong. So he downgrades. But when downgrading there is no block
20 requiring him to remove modular X first. So he merges xorg-x11-6.8 which
21 overwrites a *LOT* of modular X files like e.g. startx and only unmerges
22 xorg-x11-7.0 which is a very small package. Now the user decides to upgrade
23 again so he unmerges xorg-x11-6.8 again and it removes all the files but
24 portage still thinks modular X is installed except of xorg-x11-7*. So when he
25 emerges xorg-x11-7* that package is the only one which is remerged...
28 Bo Andresen