From: "Bruce Hill
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can I do a one-time boot to non-default kernel in Lilo?
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 03:36:49
1 On March 11, 2012 at 11:16 PM Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > Not exactly your typical "remote machine", but the principle is the
4 > same. I have a dedicated HTPC machine next to my 50" plasma, connected
5 > by 50 feet of ethernet cable to my computer den. I use the TV as a
6 > monitor when running NHL GameCenter Live.
7 >
8 > I have Lilo set up to "dual boot" between a "production" and an
9 > "experimental" kernel. The first (i.e. default) boot option is the
10 > "production" kernel. When I set up a new kernel, I try to always run it
11 > as experimental. Even if the kernel panics, I don't<G>. I boot back
12 > into the production kernel, and try again. Once the experimental kernel
13 > has run for a couple of weeks without problems, I copy it over the
14 > production kernel.
15 >
16 > One problem... if I build a new kernel, is there a way to get the
17 > "remote machine" to boot to the non-default experimental kernel just
18 > once? Any future boots to default to production (unless its a restart
19 > from hibernate).
20 >
21 > --
22 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 Unless I misunderstand you, after you issue "lilo" to write to the MBR,
26 then issue:
27 lilo -R experimental
28
29 where experimental is the name of the kernel image you want to boot. The R
30 creates a one time command which it will use the next time you boot, then
31 it will be erased.
32
33 And give the kernel an append statement:
34 append="panic=10"
35
36 so that if the kernel does not boot, you get automatically rebooted back
37 into the good kernel.
40 Happy Penguin Computers >`)
41 126 Fenco Drive ( \
42 Tupelo, MS 38801 ^^
43 662-269-2706; 662-491-8613
44 support at happypenguincomputers dot com
45 http://www.happypenguincomputers.com