From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Picking out a printer. Questions.
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2019 17:46:16
1 Manuel McLure wrote:
4 > On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 7:54 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 >
7 > I ended up ordering that Lexmark C2325dw printer.  Given the price of
8 > the printer itself and the fact that folks on here said it should
9 > work,
10 > and openprinting says it too, I think that is the best printer for
11 > what
12 > I need.  It may get a workout the first few months tho.
15 > I'm pretty sure it will work great for you. If you have more that one
16 > computer, you definitely want to look into connecting it via ethernet
17 > instead of USB - that way you can share the printer between any of the
18 > computers that are on the network (Linux, Windows, Mac, even mobile
19 > devices if you have WiFi) very easily. You could also set up a print
20 > server using CUPS (I did that many many years ago before I got a
21 > networked printer) but that's a lot more hassle and requires that the
22 > computer running the print server be running before you start the print.
23 > --
24 > Manuel A. McLure WW1FA <manuel@××××××.org <mailto:manuel@××××××.org>>
25 > <http://www.mclure.org>
26 > ...for in Ulthar, according to an ancient and significant law,
27 > no man may kill a cat.                       -- H.P. Lovecraft
30 On the question of ethernet.  I'm almost certain the printer comes with
31 that port.  I have a router, wired one with no wireless, that I put
32 between my DSL modem and my puter.  I did that for those occasions I am
33 working on a friends puter and need internet.  Do I plug the printer
34 into the router or do I have to connect it to the puter itself?  I think
35 I read somewhere ages ago, on this list most likely, that you plug it
36 into the router.  That way all puters hooked to the router can access
37 it.  I could be wrong tho.  I don't recall ever doing that and it was a
38 long time ago that I read about it as well.  My router is a older blue
39 Linksys.  I have a wireless one as a standby in my closet but don't care
40 much for wireless stuff, to easy to snoop on.  I'm not sure if I ever
41 plugged it in for testing now that I think about it.  May do that here
42 in a few.
43
44 I do think it will give me much better service than what I been using.
45 Unless it blows up right after the warranty expires, I can't see this
46 not paying off hugely, not to mention the more dependable ink and such
47 on top of that.  It took me about a decade or so but I'm finally doing
48 this right, for the long term.  ;-)
49
50 Dale
51