From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Diskless nodes
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 06:05:25
1 On 03/18/2017 05:33 AM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Mar 18, 2017 at 4:25 AM, Ural <uralzima@×××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Rich Freeman:
4 >>> On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:12 PM, <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> So, instead of getting into trouble of making disk-less node I figure it out my Atom (small box) can access Main server via X2GO. I tested it on my local network and speed wise it works OK. Buy my computer is much faster than the Atom. So after upgrade I'll see how it will run. All boxes have gigabit network cards.
7 >>>>
8 >>>
9 >>> While this would certainly work, you should also consider using a
10 >>> windows technology like rdp/citrix to connect directly from the client
11 >>> to the VM guest. That might actually give you better performance.
12 >>>
13 >>> It is analogous to running a linux VM in a window and typing into its
14 >>> console, vs running a linux VM headless and using ssh to connect to
15 >>> it. Ssh is probably going to give you a more integrated experience
16 >>> and better performance, because you're not virtualizing a console with
17 >>> minimal support for stuff like the clipboard/etc.
18 >>>
19 >>
20 >> Try using Nomachine.com NX. It is fastest remote connection, but it is
21 >> proprietary. There is open source client available for Linux
24 > x2go is based on NX. I doubt that NX + VM console window is faster
25 > than Citrix for accessing a Windows machine. NX was largely inspired
26 > by Citrix.
27 >
28 > Both approaches have their pros and cons. NX is the right solution
29 > for accessing a linux X11 server. rdp/citrix is probably the right
30 > solution for accessing a windows console. So, the question is whether
31 > you want to be accessing the VM console running on Linux, or directly
32 > accessing the windows console running inside the VM. I suspect that
33 > the latter is going to be a bit cleaner when you consider things like
34 > clipboard support and such. But, if you want to be able to start/stop
35 > the VM and such then obviously you can't do that from the windows
36 > console.
37
38 OK, I've maxed the RAM on Linux server that will be running two
39 VM-Windows7 with 32GB of RAM and it has SSD so it should handle the load
40 (8-core AMD).
41 One VM-Windows7 run a program as a server the other VM-Windows7 acts as
42 a client, run by another user. Another user will log to the his account
43 on a sever via X2GO and start VM-Windows7 (run the same program but in a
44 client mode).
45
46 I've NX as well, but they have closed the source. X2GO was easier to
47 install as well.
48
49 The rdp might work. It would be best if I could by-pass the switch,
50 since both VM's are running on the same Linux server.
53 Thelma