From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird Screen-Overlay problems after update
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 13:51:03
1 On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 05:20:12AM +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote
2
3 > was updated and I installed Linux 3.12.17 (vanilla) and recompiled
4 > the nvidia-drivers and finally the X11-modules, a really annoying
5 > thing happened:
6 >
7 > When a program uses the screen overlay technique (right word???) to
8 > display (mainly) videos (me-tv, flashplayer, Blender while rendering)
9 > ANY and everything on any desktop, which has a black background (mutt,
10 > urxvt to only name a few) displays the video even the video
11 > application runs on a different desktop.
12 >
13 > Handling the desktops then becomes a masterpieces of focus and
14 > counting.... ;)
15 >
16 > I am using openbox, nvidia-drivers, linux 3.12.17 vanilla, me-tv,
17 > flashplayer, blender (daily build taken from blenders buildbot).
18 >
19 > What can I do to get rid of this effect?
20
21 This seems to be a common problem with nvidia video cards using the
22 nvidia binary blobs. I ran into it some time ago. If you don't want to
23 get rid of the nvidia card, try the Nouveau open-source drivers. You
24 won't get all the acceleration that the Nvidia binaries provide, but at
25 least you probably won't get the problems you have now.
28 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
29 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications