From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] grub and what happens exactly when booting.
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:42:41
1 On Sep 19, 2011 10:05 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 15:54:52 +0700
4 > Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 >
6 > > > LVM does do striping according to the man page. I've never tried it,
7 > > > mostly because LVM is the wrong place to do that IMHO.
8 > > >
9 > > > Use RAID for that instead and leave LVM to do what it's good at -
10 > > > managing storage volumes
11 > > >
12 > >
13 > > Ah, thanks for the correction. Anyways, I agree with your last
14 > > sentence.
15 > >
16 > > Soft-RAID is always a catastrophe waiting to happen.
19 > My experience has always been that Linux software raid gets the job
20 > done perfectly, every time, no issues and has never failed me.
21 >
22 > Hardware RAID is another story, especially those cheap nasty
23 > onboard pseudo-RAID thingies. DOubly so if the name Adaptec appears
24 > anywhere.
27 Ah yes. If we're talking about entry-level RAID, then I agree; Linux's RAID
28 is head and shoulders above cheapo Adaptec pseudo-RAID.
29
30 But in an Enterprise setting, I trust the server box's battery-backed RAID
31 controller better than any software solution.
32
33 At least, in the latter case we have a 3rd party to sue ;-)
34
35 Rgds,