From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Ethernet Machination
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2013 15:25:59
1 On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 7:53 AM, Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On 2013-01-01 7:55 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On Tue, Jan 1, 2013 at 6:50 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> So now that only one ethernet shows up, how do I prevent
7 >>> udev from renaming eth0 to eth3?
10 >> Check /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules. Probably the old
11 >> (fried) ethernet card is listed there (along with other stuff). Leave
12 >> out everything except your PCI card (the MAC address is how you tell
13 >> them appart).
14 >>
15 >> Worst case, delete the file (after saving a copy), and see if udev
16 >> automagically solves everything by itself.
19 > Also, be sure that you have completely disabled the integrated ethernet in
20 > the BIOS, otherwise gentoo/udev may still 'see' it even if it isn't
21 > working...
24 I once had an onboard NIC go bad, and the PCI NIC I substituted for it
25 wouldn't work unless the onboard NIC was disabled. So disabling
26 onboard hardware may or may not be a net positive.
27
28 So long as there are no drivers available for the onboard NIC, it
29 won't show up in the net subsystem, so udev won't tie it in under net
30 rules.
33 :wq