From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Custom ebuilds for CoreOS
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 15:36:06
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > > ChromeOS is most definitely a Gentoo derivative [2,3,4], even though
5 > > that fact is not really well known (and not really publicised).
6
7 Thanks for the links. I did not see that bit of history...
10 > Interesting. Talk about a march of init systems. You have Gentoo
11 > which defaults to openrc and supports systemd, to ChromeOS which only
12 > supports upstart, to CoreOS which uses systemd.
13
14 I have always maintained that init system, is only critical choices,
15 because the cloud/cluster technologies are not yet mature. What you
16 get from these init system, can easily be established with a few
17 files at boot time (PXE and many others methods), that is what CoreOS
18 is doing, just in an updated fashion.
21 > In any case, the whole point of both ChromeOS and CoreOS is that
22 > they're hosts for running applications completely outside of the usual
23 > unix-y approach of sticking stuff in /usr. Applications on ChromeOS
24 > are Chrome extensions and the like, and applications on CoreOS are
25 > containers. The whole point of both is to abstract away all the guts
26 > of how the OS operates, so the choice of init really shouldn't matter
27 > much to anybody using either. If you really want to stick stuff in
28 > /usr and interact with host processes directly, then you really should
29 > find a distro which isn't designed to be a black box in this regard.
30
31 Yes, your are correct, that is what the "cloud" vendors are striving for.
32 I see a much deeper future, that leverages their ideas to invigorate Gentoo.
35 In the good old days, it was very common for folks to build up minimized
36 gentoo sytems, by starting of with "-*" in the USE settings of make.conf.
37 Sure now that sort of thing is frowned upon by the devs, but it was and
38 is a very valid method to minimize the size and complexity of a system.
39 I still have running gentoo sytems with just a few flags set and with "-*"
40 in the USE settings. I do not sync them, but update them selectively in a
41 manual process. This yeilds a linux system, usually for a special purpose,
42 that is so minimized it's very close to a stipped/optimized embedded system.
45 WE seem to have lost the "embedded" focus here at gentoo. Gentoo-embedded,
46 as a discussion/sharing group seems to be dead; but I think it is
47 because most are slobberingly working on 64 bit arm offerings. Minimized
48 sytems can be delivered via something like CoreOS and then the other
49 codes (binaries whatever) can be added dynamically to yield a very
50 focused target system, a replacement system, or a parallel system to
51 handle a dynamic resource loading problem, jus to name a few reason
52 for the CoreOS approach to building up a cluster.
53
54 I do not see the "/usr" types of systems (like a current gentoo workstation
55 or server) going away any time soon. What I hope WE can pull off at Gentoo
56 is integration of the best of the CoreOS ideas into "Gentoo proper". I was
57 just very surprised to stumble across CoreOS; as it is what my hopes
58 (vision?) of Gentoo are to be, beside continuing the traditional linux
59 progression (/var/usr/local/home/etc..... )type of unix derivative OS. I do
60 believe that this traditional linux (what's left of unix) belongs to the
61 masses and "force feeding" of systemd was a very, very poorly made decision.
62
63 I do see the "Cloud vendors" eating away at the Microsoft and Apple user
64 base and large companies with masses of "clerical" employees.
65
66 So, to sum this up, in my view, is to say that CoreOS (ideas) offers us a
67 pathway to be able to build (via dynamic downloads) any system we want from
68 a minimized linux state machine on a 16 bit core, to a "-*" minimized gentoo
69 system or a full gentoo linux workstataion or server. Substitute "cluster
70 controlled by user" for "cloud" and I really like the CoreOS vision. I think
71 they have stolen the "Gentoo Grand Unification Theory" from us, because we
72 are "napping" here at Gentoo.
73
74 Just so folk know, a minimize system is far easier to keep secure, and
75 replace dynamically for whatever the failure reason is. I guess that CoreOS
76 is just building up clusters from derivatives ot TFTPboot...... That is
77 what's old (farts) is new again, as it appears we are returning full circle.
81 YiPeeeeeeeeeeeee!
82
83 James