From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 06:26:34
1 William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 23:18 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >> William Kenworthy wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, 2012-08-07 at 21:19 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Paul Hartman wrote:
6 >>>>> On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > ...
8 >>> Goggle have a well known document
9 >>> (http://research.google.com/archive/disk_failures.pdf) where they
10 >>> analysed hard drive failures for a very large number of drives ... the
11 >>> basic upshot is that a very large portion of failures happen with no
12 >>> pre-warning, so testing a drive like you are proposing not going to
13 >>> prove a thing.
14 >>>
15 >>> They also found that smart (is quite dumb) and its tests were of little
16 >>> use.
17 >>>
18 >>> And high temperatures and work loads were also not a reliable guide to
19 >>> trends in failure rates, both of which which surprised me.
20 >>>
21 >>> Some of those bathtub curves that I was trained on when setting
22 >>> maintenance schedules dont hold water here!
23 >>>
24 >>> This anaysis of the paper looks quite good if you want the lite view:
25 >>> http://storagemojo.com/2007/02/19/googles-disk-failure-experience/
26 >>>
27 >>> BillK
28 >>>
29 >>>
30 >> Well, I am going by actual real experiences from other users of this
31 >> model of drive. I don't know what google was testing but I would bet it
32 >> is not the drive model I just bought. The users who bought this exact
33 >> model drive report that most failures are either out of the box or
34 >> within a few weeks to a month. I'm just going to try to increase my
35 >> odds even if it is just a little bit.
36 >>
37 >> Smart may not always predict a failure but it is better than nothing at
38 >> all. Would you rather have a tool that may predict a failure or no tool
39 >> at all? Me, I'd rather have something that at least tries too. The one
40 >> drive I had to go bad, Smart predicted it very well. It said I had
41 >> about 24 hrs to get my stuff off. Sure enough, the next day, it
42 >> wouldn't do anything but spin. Without Smart and its prediction, I'd
43 >> have lost the data on the drive with no warning at all.
44 >>
45 >> A couple questions. What if while I am testing this drive, it dies?
46 >> Does that prove that my testing benefited me then?
47 >>
48 >> Dale
49 >>
50 >> :-) :-)
51 >>
52 > Read the paper - its written by someone who buys drives in batches of
53 > 100's+, not by a few guys posting on a forum somewhere who bought one
54 > random drive, who probably didn't use anti-static techniques handling
55 > the drive, and thumped it around in the boot of the car or got it via
56 > the courier who was famous for delivering TV's by throwing them over the
57 > fence. It is a bit of an eye opener - read it.
58 >
59 > My impression of models is that it is not really the model that has a
60 > run of failures, but the batch so a different run of the same model will
61 > have a different failure pattern. There are exceptions such as those
62 > IBM 60G deathstar drives, but then again they fixed it and following
63 > drives of the same model were fine.
64 >
65 > My own experience of smart is it tells you something, but what it seems
66 > to say is not right (notice I am not saying it tells lies, but that the
67 > data and interpretation don't make sense on the drives Ive had)
68 >
69 > Drive failure does seem to be a semi-random lottery, but I am seriously
70 > doubtful that testing will do anything ... it has as much chance of
71 > precipitating failure that wouldn't occur otherwise because you are
72 > seriously hammering it, or weakening the drive so it will fail at some
73 > random time, but perhaps weeks away rather than the years it otherwise
74 > would, or nothing will happen except for wasted electrons.
75 >
76 > Then again, I am of the view that modern electronics is
77 > designed/programmed to fail a few seconds past warranty expiry (why else
78 > do most devices have timekeeping built in :)
79 >
80 > BillK
83 Actually, I read the paper a long time ago. May give it another look
84 but I'm still going by what people have posted about this specific
85 model. If they make them all the same, then testing to at least see if
86 it is going to get past the initial stages is a good idea. I do think
87 some failures were because of the BIOS and I stated that in my original
88 post. Getting a DOA drive can happen but when there are mobos around
89 that can't see large drives, then one has to consider it. The ones I
90 worry about are the ones that worked for a few weeks or a month then
91 died. They obviously don't have BIOS issues but some other problem.
92
93 Still, all things considered, I'm going to test the drive. If it can
94 pass the test then I will feel better about putting my data on it. As
95 for the paper:
96
97 root@fireball / # ls -al /home/dale/Desktop/disk_failures.pdf
98 -rw-r--r-- 1 dale users 247492 May 21 17:58
99 /home/dale/Desktop/disk_failures.pdf
100 root@fireball / #
103 I read it back in May. It's still sitting on my desktop. I might also
104 add, it is about 5 years old. Drives have changed since then. For one,
105 they have gotten larger. We don't know what else may have changed either.
106
107 Dale
108
112 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!