From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Google privacy changes
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 08:45:32
1 On Thu, January 26, 2012 8:16 am, Dale wrote:
2 > Hi list,
3 >
4 > I ran across this news item about Google:
5 >
6 > http://alturl.com/s7xi5
7 >
8 > The long URL is below. I'm sort of getting to where I don't like Google
9 > since they seem to be doing things that I'm just not comfy with. Next
10 > they will want a camera on my rig so they can watch me surf. I found a
11 > search engine that may work. It is here:
12 >
13 > www.ixquick.com
14 >
15 > Does anyone have a better search tool? I don't like Yahoo either. I do
16 > like froogle so that would be a bonus. You know, shopping tool.
17 >
18 > Now to my next issue. I'm thinking about switching emails too. Yea,
19 > everyone on here knows my addy but I bet most can recognize my posts
20 > anyway. Plus, if the init thingy goes south, well, it happens. Anyway,
21 > what is a nice stable email account server that allows pop access,
22 > Seamonkey as the email program, that is not tracking everything or nosey
23 > as heck? Free would be nice but I would pay something inexpensive on a
24 > yearly basis if it is really good. I think Yahoo has this but ain't
25 > they sort of like Google already? Plus, I'm not sure how much longer
26 > Yahoo is going to last or make similar changes itself. I'm sort of
27 > getting tired of switching emails every time I switch ISPs or there is a
28 > policy change. That is why I switched to gmail in the first place. No
29 > matter what ISP I use, I can still use Gmail. Yet, here I am again.
30 >
31 > Thoughts? Suggestions?
34 Dale,
35
36 I don't use them myself, but Fastmail might be an option for you.
37 http://www.fastmail.fm
38
39 They're also very good with giving back to the OS community.
42 Joost