From: Colleen Beamer <colleen.beamer@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Problems after upgrading
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 05:51:39
1 Hi all,
2
3 Yesterday, among the packages in my upgrade list was kde-3.5. After
4 getting the problem with perl-cleaner solved (thanks to the help on this
5 list), the upgrade went apparently smoothly.
6
7 According to what I read in some of the Gentoo documentation after
8 booting into kde-3.5, I had to rebuild some of the packages against
9 kde-3.5 in order for them to work, for example amarok. The rebuild of
10 this went fine. I can listen to my music collection with amarok. I can
11 play CD's with kscd. The problem seems to be with kaudio creator. And
12 it is acting erratically.
13
14 First, when I tried to rip a cd, it wouldn't encode it, nor would it let
15 me configure the encoder (oggenc). I'm not sure how, but somehow, I got
16 passed that, but the application would freeze part way through the
17 ripping process. When I got the message that the application was not
18 responding and I responded affirmatively when asked if I wanted to
19 terminate it, ps -ax still showed the application as running and I
20 couldn't kill it with kill -9. At this point, if I continued using the
21 computer without a reboot, inevitably some other application would
22 freeze up on me. However, if I rebooted and didn't use kaudiocreator
23 again, everything seems to be fine.
24
25 This time, I did check the list archives, but didn't notice anything
26 relevant. I checked the bug list as well and there appears to be a
27 couple of kdemultimedia bugs that have been reported. Whether or not my
28 problem has something to do with the kdemultimedia bugs, I'm not sure.
29 However, if anyone has any ideas here, I am open to suggestions.
30
31 Regards,
32
33 Colleen