From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] insane backends
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 02:39:41
'sane-backends-1.0.27' just stabilised, so I updated to it.
Previously I had selected  4  items from the list in SANE_BACKENDS,
which is shown by 'emerge', ie 'epson epson2 plustek plustek_pp'.
My scanner is an 'Epson V550 Photo'.

Wanting to test which of the  4  items above was needed, I tried each.
Inadvertently, I tried emerging 'sane-backends' with none included
& discovered that my scanner still works regardless !

There is a file  /etc/hotplug/usb/libsane.usermap , which lists scanners,
& I have the line under 'V550' enabled.

What is the purpose of the long list of SANE_BACKENDS,
if Xsane finds the correct driver with none enabled ?

--
SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto