From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: "emerge -DuvatN world" doesn't show all upgradeable packages
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 10:52:22
1 On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > On Tuesday 08 April 2008, Michael Schmarck wrote:
4 > >> Connected question: How do I quickly find all the packages that
5 > >> got installed as a dependency, but which are no longer needed,
6 > >> because the dependent package got removed (as an example, I'd
7 > >> like to find kde-i18n, because that used to be a dependency of
8 > >> kde-meta and kde-meta is no longer installed).
9 > >
10 > > emerge --depclean
11 >
12 > thanks. 200 some packages, which would be removed. Quite a
13 > lot.
14
15 Ouch. You'll be wanting to go through that lot with a fine toothcomb and
16 verify what you really no longer need. 'emerge -n <package>' will put
17 the package in world so that it won't be considered by --depclean
18
19 With that big a change I usually 'emerge -C' stuff in chunks manually to
20 get the --depclean output down to a more manageable length
21
22 > After removing stuff, a revdep-rebuild should be done, shouldn't
23 > it?
24
25 In theory yes.
26 In practice... in practice you get whatever you get, and sometimes
27 that's two broken halves. revdep-rebuild usually fixes most of it
28
29 Also consider the implications either way of emerge --withbdeps
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
37 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list