From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X11 from another machine
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 17:13:11
1 Andrew Lowe writes:
2
3 > I have the situation where I have to connect to a remote, it's still
4 > in my office but X will be running across the network, Sun server so
5 > that I can run a CAD system. In the past I've done this from Windows
6 > using telnet and an X emulator, exporting the DISPLAY variable etc, but
7 > now I want to be able to do this from the linux box. I've tried what
8 > I've done under Windows in the past but the Sun machine can't find my X
9 > server, even though I'm in a graphical X window when I type the
10 > commands to initiate the remote X session.
11
12 If the Sun has ssh running, use ssh -X or -Y to connect.
13
14 If not, or if this would be too much overhead and slows things down,
15 telnet is okay. You probably have your local X server runing with
16 the "-nolisten tcp" option which prevents access over port 6000 to your
17 server, probably due to security reasons. Check with "ps ax | grep
18 [/]usr/bin/X". Or try "telnet localhost 6000", if you get a "connection
19 refused", you have to enable tcp listening.
20
21 To do so with KDM as display manager, comment the line
22 #ServerArgsLocal=-nolisten tcp
23 in your /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and restart ("/etc/init.d/xdm
24 restart") after logging out of KDE.
25
26 Alex
27 --