From: Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] checking for.....
Date: Sat, 03 May 2008 10:38:32
1 * Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > You are expecting autoconf to actually do something sane when it runs???
6 *rofl*
7
8 The point is: the way autoconf does its 'checks' is completely
9 insane - beginning with the expectation that an dumb script
10 is more clever than an operator ;-o
11
12 I've did a lot research in this area some time ago and came the
13 conclusion, that autoconf cannot be fixed - it's broken by
14 design. So I developed unitool: http://unitool.metux.de/
15 It uses an system/target-wide config database which can be
16 either auto-generated or tweaked manually.
17
18 I'm currently in the process of redesigning the database scheme
19 to be more convenient and flexible and also allow several autoconf
20 macros (eg. AC_CHECK_HEADER, ...) to directly query that config
21 database. So autoconf can be easily rewritten to at least do a
22 large bunch of checks via that db instead of compiling test
23 programs.
26 If anyone's interested in it, please let me know.
27
28 cu
29 --
31 Enrico Weigelt == metux IT service - http://www.metux.de/
33 Please visit the OpenSource QM Taskforce:
34 http://wiki.metux.de/public/OpenSource_QM_Taskforce
35 Patches / Fixes for a lot dozens of packages in dozens of versions:
36 http://patches.metux.de/
38 --
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list