From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What role does dev-libs/boost play with encfs?
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2010 01:58:15
1 On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 23:11 +0000, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I'm probably way behind the eightball asking something like this,
3 > but I'm wondering what role `dev-libs/boost' plays with encfs.
4 >
5 Boost is a C++ library. It provides facilities for such things as
6 handling XML, abstracting filesystems, complex data structures, etc,
7 etc.
8
9 See http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_41_0
10
11 encfs is a FUSE and accompanying utilties. It utilizes C++ and uses a
12 few libraries, among them Boost.
13
14 > The home page indicates its something of a helper application for
15 > using cpp++ programming language and applications.
16 >
17 It's a library, not an application (qlist boost).
18
19 > The reason I ask is that it appears to be up there with kde when
20 > it comes to compiling that critter.
21 >
22 It's C++. g++ is slow.
23
24 > I'm rebuilding my main desktop from scratch install and have been
25 > used to using encfs for some private data... I don't recall having
26 > to wrestle `boost' to the ground when I installed encfs (long ago).
27 >
28 > I may just have been too busy to see it burning up time. But what
29 > seems like hrs is just a bit lenghy for something that is billed
30 > as a sort of helper application.
31 >
32 It's a library. Not a helper application. It includes a lot of useful
33 stuff (although encfs probably uses only a few of them).
34
35 > Well its really only been a little over an hour but I see no signs of
36 > the end coming near in the present output...
37 >
38 > I'ts not really a big complaint... I'm more curious than put out.
39 > Being a retiree and lazy to boot I have the time for it... hehe.
40 >
41 > Oh, and my hardware is not that uptodate ... its p4 celeron 3.0 cpu
42 > with 3GB ram.
46 If you *really* want to know what encfs uses Boost for you could, of
47 course, examine the source :) But you really only need to know that
48 it's a big C++ library that's used by encfs.
49
50 Go grab a coffee or do a load of laundry or something.
51
52 -a