From: staticsafe <me@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mutt configuration advice
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 01:51:07
1 On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 09:39:11PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 01:49:47PM +0100, Mick wrote
3 > > I would be grateful if some kind soul guided my hand on configuring
4 > > mutt to behave like ... errm ... kmail! O_o
5 >
6 > Hi; a long-time mutt-user here. The authoritative source for info is
7 > http://www.mutt.org/ You can subscribe to their mailing list. They
8 > also have the comp.mail.mutt newsgroup.
9 >
10 > First, let's look at what mutt *ISN'T*. It's not a singing-dancing
11 > all-inclusive "integrated" monstrosity. It reads email, writes email,
12 > and hands it off to your local MTA for delivery. In addition to mutt I
13 > also need "getmail" (or equivalant), procmail, and "ssmtp" (or
14 > equivalant). And the organization of my inboxes controls mutt, not visa
15 > versa. My setup here at home...
16 > I can receive email from 3 sources...
17 > my personal domain MX
18 > my Google account
19 > my ADSL ISP
20 > my emergency backup dialup account
21 >
22 > I use maildir format storage. I run a script that calls getmail for
23 > each account. getmail passes the emails to procmail, which passes the
24 > emails to the appropriate inboxes. I set up a separate inbox for each
25 > mailing last or group that I belong to.
26 >
27 > mutt reads the email. It "sends" to ssmtp, which is a very simplified
28 > sendmail. All it does is push the email out the door to my ISP's MTA,
29 > which does the real work. I dislike only one thing about ssmtp. It
30 > *INSISTS* on installing "sendmail" symlinks in 3 or 4 different
31 > locations, all pointing back to /usr/sbin/ssmtp. My most embarressing
32 > moment as a user was when a chatty daemon started sending a bunch of
33 > stuff to "root@" my ISP. I did not appreciate that. After that, I
34 > tightened down what stuff gets sent where by daemons, and set up a
35 > script that wipes the symlinks. I have to rerun it after each ssmtp
36 > update.
37 >
38 > --
39 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
40 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
43 Hi,
44
45 New mutt user here. I'm curious as to why you are using ssmtp, mutt can
46 talk SMTP directly. That simplifies thing as well regarding the
47 "sendmail" symlinks.
48 --
49 staticsafe
50 O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop html mail - www.asciiribbon.org
51 Please don't top post - http://goo.gl/YrmAb
52 Don't CC me! I'm subscribed to whatever list I just posted on.