From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: dual boot: XP installed last?
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:34:47
1 Neil Bothwick <neil <at> digimed.co.uk> writes:
2
3 > > If I install XP in the partition and it writes over the MBR,
4 > > then, upon reboot, how do I get to grub.conf so I have the
5 > > option to reboot the gentoo, then run grub setup?
6
7 > Run it from the live CD.
10 Ok here's what I did in case anyone else has to do this:
11
12 Booted up ran a terminal session, when root and issued:
15 grub-install /dev/hda <did not work>
16
17 so I mounted : mkdir /mnt/boot
18 mount /dev/hda2
19 grub-install /dev/hda <did not work>
20
21 grub-install /mnt/dev/hda2 <did did not work>
22
23 grub /mnt/dev/hda2 <throws me into 'grub>'>
24 grub> root (hd0,1)
25 grub> setup (hd0)
26 grub> quit
29 reboot Works great!