From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] removal of esound
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 03:30:29
1 On Sun, Jan 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Hartmut Figge <h.figge@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > 'emerge -pv -uDN world' just showed me this:
5 >
6 > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
7 > - media-sound/esound-0.2.41::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
8 > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
9 > # Nirbheek Chauhan <nirbheek@g.o> (04 Jan 2012)
10 > # Outdated and unused sound daemon. Why is this still in the tree?
11 > # Removal of esd and deps in 30 days.
12 > # In exceptional cases, you may use Pulseaudio's esound wrapper.
13 >
14 > Now, installation of esound was necessary for my SeaMonkey to be able to
15 > notify of new mail with a custom sound file. I do *not* want pulseaudio,
16 > so, do you know of an replacement for esound which could work with
17 > SeaMonkey?
18
19 I'm not even sure how you're seeing this. 'esd' and 'esound' don't
20 show up anywhere in /usr/portage/www-client/seamonkey, for me.
21
22 FWIW, I've got the 'alsa' USE flag enabled.
25 :wq