From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm2 questions
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 06:16:24
1 090604 Maxim Wexler wrote:
2 > why give the logical volumes any size at all ?
3 > If they can be expanded at will,
4 > why not just the let the files fill them up as much as they need ?
5
6 That's not how it works: you need to create the LVs with enough space
7 for your likely needs & LVM then assigns them in its own way to the PVs;
8 later, if you made an LV too small, you can increase it
9 (you also have to extend the file system after you've done that,
10 but of couse don't simply reformat the whole LV);
11 if you want to decrease an LV -- rather unlikely in real life -- ,
12 the problem is that you may risk losing data, if that part is dropped:
13 I would imagine the correct procedure is to copy everything somewhere
14 -- another LV, another partition, a USB stick -- ,
15 then delete the LV & recreate it with the smaller size.
16
17 When I set up LVM in my newly-built machine in Nov 2007 ,
18 I tried to estimate what each LV would need based on experience.
19 Recently, I added a whole new LV & extended another,
20 but otherwise LVM has worked flawlessly (even SystemRescue recognises it).
24 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
25 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
26 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca