From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:55:03
1 >>>> I ran into an out of memory problem.  The first mention of it in the
2 >>>> kernel log is "mysqld invoked oom-killer".  I haven't run into this
3 >>>> before.  I do have a swap partition but I don't activate it based on
4 >>>> something I read previously that I later found out was wrong so I
5 >>>> suppose I should activate it.  Is fstab the way to do that?  I have a
6 >>>> commented line in there for swap.
7 ...
8 >        Switching from prefork to threads and vice versa can be very
9 > difficult depending on which modules and libraries your site uses. It is not
10 > on the list of things you should try first. Or second. Maybe 37th.
11 >        I wouldn't expect adding swap to do much in this case. Your site gets
12 > hit hard, Mysql is a bit slow, Apache processes start stacking up, the
13 > system starts swapping, disk is really slow compared to RAM, and everything
14 > grinds to a complete halt possibly locking the machine up.
15 >
16 >        The easiest thing to try is to turn off keepalives so child processes
17 > aren't hanging around keeping connections up. Also lower the number of
18 > Apache children to 8 * number of processors or a minimum of 32. Test a bit.
19 > Turning off keep alive can cause problems for Flash based uploaders to your
20 > site and code that expect the connection to stay up. For most sites this
21 > shouldn't matter.
22 >
23 >        Next I'd look at tuning your Mysql config. If you've never touched
24 > my.cnf, by default it's set to use 64MB IIRC. You may need to raise this to
25 > get better performance. key_buffer and innodb_buffer_pool_size are the only
26 > two I'd modify without knowing more.
27
28 I use the default MyISAM tables and it looks like there are three
29 key_buffer definitions in my.cnf. One under [mysqld] is 16M, one
30 under [isamchk] is 20M, and one under [myisamchk] is 20M. All
31 defaults. Should I increase them all to 64M?
32
33 - Grant