From: Fernando Rodriguez <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 3.17.0
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 20:23:06
1 On Friday 24 October 2014 7:22:24 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 23, 2014 at 11:53 PM, Fernando Rodriguez
3 > <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 > > On Monday 20 October 2014 10:59:52 AM Michael Mattes wrote:
5 > >> And that is because of the additional features? :-D
6 > >
7 > > I've had issues with the additional features too. Some of the USB serial
8 > > devices don't get detected. But this is fixed by disabling the Gentoo
9 specific
10 > > options. I may be wrong but I think they're just configuration patches, not
11 the
12 > > actual kernel sources. I do use the vanilla kernel because at one point I
13 > > needed features from a version that wasn't yet on portage.
14 > >
15 >
16 > How long ago was this? It looks like gentoo-sources just tracks the
17 > stable kernel, and so does vanilla-sources. If you want mainline you
18 > need git-sources, assuming you aren't just pulling them from git
19 > yourself (an option you of-course have with vanilla too).
20 >
21 > The config items in the gentoo-sources are really just master switches
22 > to turn on everything needed by openrc/systemd/etc - they're
23 > conveniences just like meta-packages in portage.
24 >
25 > Now, gentoo-sources DOES include additional patches, and some of them
26 > are features. It is of course entirely possible that they could cause
27 > problems, but I imagine that they're selected fairly carefully.
28 >
29 > The general philosophy mixed with some very dated info can be found at:
30 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches/
31 >
32 > --
33 > Rich
34 >
35
36 Not that long ago maybe 2-3 months, it may be very close behind upstream but
37 at that time it was.
38
39 It is the master switch that still causes the USB problem for me. I don't know
40 exactly how that works but none of the usb serial drivers in the kernel have
41 my device id hardcoded on the devices table, if I add it to some of the
42 drivers and recompile they get detected but work only if I use file IO system
43 calls to communicate with it. If I just disable the gentoo master switches it
44 works out of the box with any application. Everything else that I need works
45 fine with the switch disabled.
46
48 Fernando Rodriguez
49 frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com