From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: vbox 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will not be able to boot.
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 01:03:22
1 On 01/11/2011 11:04 PM, Valmor de Almeida wrote:
2 >
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > I am trying to build a windows 7 guest using virtualbox-ose-3.1.8. When
6 > starting the virtual machine to install the OS, I get the warning:
7 >
8 > "VT-x/AMD-V hardware acceleration has been enabled, but is not
9 > operational. Your 64-bit guest will fail to detect a 64-bit CPU and will
10 > not be able to boot.
11 >
12 > Please ensure that you have enabled VT-x/AMD-V properly in the BIOS of
13 > your host computer."
14 >
15 > I have enabled the following in the BIOS:
16 >
17 > Intel(R) Virtualization Technology
18 >
19 > Intel(R) VT-d Feature
20 >
21 > I have not created a KVM module in the kernel (using
22 > gentoo-sources-2.6.34-r12). Is this needed?
23
24 No, but now that you've mentioned it have you tried qemu-kvm to see if
25 it has the same complaint?
26
27 VBox is a fork of qemu, but AFAIK it doesn't use hardware virtualization
28 the way qemu-kvm does (and even qemu added kvm support a few months ago).
29 All three products are good enough to seem like black magic to me :)