From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Something started muting the sound
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 16:05:32
1 On 2017-08-12 17:39, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
2
3 > (5). Postinst message for alsa-utils:
4 > pkg_postinst() {
5 > if [[ -z ${REPLACING_VERSIONS} ]]; then
6 > elog
7 > elog "To take advantage of the init script, and automate the process of"
8 > elog "saving and restoring sound-card mixer levels you should"
9 > elog "add alsasound to the boot runlevel. You can do this as"
10 > elog "root like so:"
11 > elog "# rc-update add alsasound boot"
12 > ewarn
13 > ewarn "The ALSA core should be built into the kernel or loaded through other"
14 > ewarn "means. There is no longer any modular auto(un)loading in alsa-utils."
15
16 I don't get this last part.
17
18 My ALSA is built as modules, including the core (I'm guessing that means
19 snd.ko, right?). I don't do anything particular to load them, they're
20 not listed in /etc/conf.d/modules. Yet the mixer save and restore via
21 alsasound works.
22
23 Could it be that alsasound itself loads the modules on demand, and the
24 warning above is misleading?
27 Please don't Cc: me privately on mailing lists and Usenet,
28 if you also post the followup to the list or newsgroup.
29 Do obvious transformation on domain to reply privately _only_ on Usenet.