From: Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenOffice 2.0 + NFS = hang
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 21:40:03
1 On 10/26/05, John Jolet <john@×××××.net> wrote:
2 >
3 > in my experience samba works better for that sort of thing anyway. If a
4 > server serving an nfs share goes down, all the computers with that share
5 > mounted will go nuts, spending 100% cpu trying to get the share back. Samba
6 > seems to fail more gracefully under those conditions.
9 Weird thing is, the server hasn't come down. It was still up. However, I
10 don't know why the client was reporting those messages. Perhaps it was
11 failing intermitently, and OO has an issue with this and other apps don't,
12 because the second after OO failed to open the file, I was able to open it
13 in file-roller without a problem.
14 Isn't nfs supposed to be THE network filesystem for unix machines? Using
15 samba between unix machines when there's no real need seems a bit
16 controversial for me :)
19 Bruno Lustosa, aka Lofofora | Email: bruno@×××××××.net
20 Network Administrator/Web Developper | ICQ: 1406477
21 Rio de Janeiro - Brazil |