From: Davyd McColl <davydm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Playing video and CPU usage
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2019 10:51:05
1 On January 12, 2019 12:00:43 PM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >> On January 12, 2019 8:02:48 AM UTC, Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
5 >> wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Sent from my iPhone
8 >>
9 >> On Jan 12, 2019, at 02:12, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
10 >> Just for giggles, I used VLC for a bit to play a video. It has
11 >> a fair resolution and is a .mp4. It uses about the same amount
12 >> of CPU power as Smplayer. I can't tell any difference even
13 >> with the same video. It appears that it may be something
14 >> besides the player.
17 >> You have to go into settings and make sure VDPAU is enabled. You need to
18 >> enable the vdpau USE flag. I have it set globally.
21 >> Also, for OpenGL, ensure "eselect opengl list" shows nvidia selected.
22 >>
23 >> --
24 >> Joost
25 >> --
26 >> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
29 > I enabled the vdpau USE flag globally and re-emerged the ones with
30 > changed flags.  It wasn't many but got most video related stuff.  I then
31 > set it up in Smplayer, will do VLC and others shortly.  I checked this a
32 > few days ago and at the time, only nvidia was listed with eselect so it
33 > was set to nvidia.  When I checked it just now, I had two, nvidia and
34 > xorg-x11, and xorg was selected for some reason.  I set it back to
35 > nvidia as it should be.
36 >
37 > I just restarted Smplayer and the CPU is sitting at almost nothing when
38 > playing a video and using vdpau.  I can't tell much difference between
39 > when I am playing a video and when I'm not really.  However, while sound
40 > is working, the video is iffy at best. It sort of comes and goes.  I've
41 > tried different video file formats but get the same when using vdpau.
42 > When I change it back to gl or something else, it works like it should.
43 > That said, when using say gl (fast), the CPU is almost nothing now.  I
44 > suspect it was the eselect opengl setting that was making things not
45 > work right.  I'll keep playing with the vdpau driver when I have time.
46 > I'm not sure how much improvement it will bring but if it should be
47 > used, I'll give it a shot.
48 >
49 > Thanks for the help.  Since I had already checked that eselect setting,
50 > I didn't think it would be wrong.  As I've said before, it's those silly
51 > little things that messes things up.  :/
52 And that's why I thought you were using software rendering - because you
53 were 😂 forgot to mention the eselect, but someone more switched on than me
54 didn't 👍
57 > Dale
58 >