From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] New Install
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 20:17:48
1 Again, top posting to follow his lead.
2
3 It's not a fight. It's just called being prepared. Missing a section
4 isn't going to give you a proper install. It's one reason I always
5 recommend a person read the docs several times. The reason for that, if
6 something doesn't seem right, you will more than likely notice it and go
7 back and figure out what was missed. The fact that I don't see a
8 all-in-one page guide isn't helping you any. If it was on one page,
9 even as a option for those who don't like it, then you likely wouldn't
10 have missed a section. Just start at the top and work your way down.
11 Maybe after this, someone will see the need for at least some of us to
12 have it all in one long page. Maybe Rich can whisper in someone's
13 ear. I guess printing it and putting it in order would work but that
14 means a lot of typing when a lot of times, a copy and paste will be
15 easier.
16
17 Thing is, it's hard to tell what was wrong because no one knew you
18 missed a section, I suspect Neil did sort of figure that to be the case
19 tho which is why he replied with what he did. What we do know, if you
20 follow the guide, you should get a bootable system. It may not be 100%
21 perfect but it should boot at least. Gentoo has some excellent docs,
22 especially the install part. Unless you have some pretty odd hardware,
23 it should work.
24
25 One thing I learned the hard way. Pretty much no matter what you may
26 mess up, you can chroot in and go back and fix it. Just boot using
27 whatever media you selected, follow the mount and chroot section and
28 then correct whatever is wrong. You do NOT have to start from scratch
29 most of the time. You'd have to have made a boo boo in the very early
30 stages to end up doing that.
31
32 I'm just hoping you can fix this easily and finish your install. :-)
33
34 Dale
35
39 Christopher Robinson wrote:
40 > I don't really want to get into a fight, but some of the replies-not Rich's- are missing
41 > the point I am raising. To then disparage me is unworthy for a support list.