From: James Wall <wallservices@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] X Freezes With Firefox on Many Post 2.6.38 Kernels
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 22:19:29
1 On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Here is a update.  Let's see what folks think about this situation.  I
4 > mentioned in another thread that I did a from scratch kernel.  It was a .35
5 > version.  It seemed to work fine, for a while.  When I tell Seamonkey to
6 > download to my desktop, it works fine.  The minute I tell it to save it to
7 > my large 750Gb drive, I get a kernel panic.  Keep in mind, there is nothing
8 > OS related on that drive.  Nothing OS at all.  It is videos, CD ISO's and
9 > such as that.
10 >
11 > Here is another thing I just found out.  I did download a few videos I
12 > wanted to save.  They were on my desktop and who likes desktop clutter.  So,
13 > I dragged them over to the large data drive.  I did this by dragging from
14 > the desktop to a open Konqueror window.  This was not downloading or
15 > anything, just a straight move operation.  It copied a few Mbs and panic.
16 >  This had nothing to do with Seamonkey either.
17
18 This looks like a drive/cable issue, since it only occurs on the one
19 drive. If both drives are SATA, I would try swapping the cables to
20 rule out a bad cable. If the problem stays with the drive I would
21 first try a different SATA port to see if that clears up the issue.
22
23 > So, did this issue just move from a Seamonkey sort of problem to completely
24 > something else?  Hmmmmm.  After the crash, I boot to single user mode.  I
25 > ran resierfsck --fix-fixable on the drive.  Not one error.  I ran the smart
26 > thingy and not one error there either.  Thinking file system is bad in the
27 > kernel, well my /home directory is on reiserfs too.  It is the one that
28 > works.
29 >
30 > Now, what the heck is this about?  Does this make sense to anyone?
31 >
32 > Dale
33 >
41 No trees were harmed in the sending of this message. However, a large
42 number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.