From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Kiosk server
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 12:04:18
1 Hello,
2
3 SCOPE:
4 I'm looking for some advise on a non-standard system I need to build.
5 It's a gentoo server, who's sole function is to run JFFNMS
6 (which requires apache, mysql/postgres and rrdtools) and a minimalistic
7 gui interface that functions like a kiosk. All I want the system
8 to do is provided the monitor the ability to display the various
9 graphs and interfaces to JFFNMS via some minimal (kde) interface.
12 Usually, I do not install X/kde on servers and I install kde-meta
13 on workstations. The server will definitely need gui support
14 and maybe a user shell, such as operator, and a means to shutdown
15 and reboot the system, such as the kde login manager.
16
17 ASSUMPTIONS:
18
19 Launch all softare (where possible) via the init system
20 (rc-update add apache default).....for example
21
22 Use cron to prune the files (log rotate then age then delete)
23 that tend to grow and are not needed by the Network Management
24 System.
27 Google:
28
29 http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=110453491611172&w=2
30
31 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_MythTV
32
33 all input is welcome.
37 QUESTIONS:
38
39 Which profile to use?
40
41 Any kernel optimizations (low latency desktop)?
45 Launch the application (JFFNMS) from /etc/conf.d/local.start ?
46 or Launch a login interface, require the user to login as
47 operator and then launch JFFNMS when the user log ins ?
48
49 Hopefully, somebody has previously built something like this before
50 and can shed some light as to what works and what does not work. The intended
51 user is a technician that barely knows how to use MS windows, hence
52 the kiosk approach, with mouse driven options only.
53
54 Maybe there's something cool coming in kde4 ?
58 James
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list