From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] S.O.P.A and P.I.P.A and the blackout.
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 01:22:36
1 Chris Walters wrote:
2 > I am truly surprised that Gentoo, and more GNU/Linux and *BSD sites did not
3 > join in the 'blackout'. The only one I saw that did was opensuse.org .
4 >
5 > These laws, as I understand them, and I am no lawyer, could be used against
6 > open source kernels, operating system tools, and other open source applications
7 > by companies that would benefit by eliminating competition or potential
8 > competition.
9 >
10 > The definition of infringement is so broad, and the blocking is required with
11 > just a single complaint - it could really be used to wreak havoc on the
12 > Internet, in general, and by the big players to eliminate the smaller
13 > competition. Lame alone could shut down just about every distribution and
14 > their mirrors since the mp3 encoder algorithms are patented and cross-patented
15 > in so many ways that just the distribution of the source code could result in a
16 > complaint and many blocks.
17 >
18 > Chris
21 I bypassed the wiki black out. I used adblock to disable the part that
22 blacks everything out. I was doing some research on my health issues
23 and I wanted more than a black screen. I like the way Google did it.
24 It was certainly noticeable but you could still use the site. If Google
25 had went down, people would have found the competition and that may not
26 be good in the long run, law or no law. Who really competes with Google
27 anyway? I wonder if a Google search would work on that? LOL
28
29 I don't like the law and honestly I don't like 99% of the laws they even
30 think about much less pass. Trust me, I let my Rep know several times
31 that I oppose both of them and even got a phone call today from one of
32 them. I also pointed out that no law we pass here affects the people
33 overseas. Last I heard, when you got a few miles off shore, our laws
34 pretty much end. The people in other countries are going to hack and
35 steal and host whatever they want as long as it benefits them. They
36 could care less what our laws are. They may be laughing at us too. I
37 know I could care less what laws they pass somewhere else.
38
39 Little piece of info about me. If you want to get me really going, put
40 a politician on TV and let his lips move. I can give a sailor a run for
41 his money. O_O
42
43 Dale
44
48 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
49
50 Miss the compile output? Hint:
51 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"