From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] chage can't open /etc/passwd
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 15:30:32
1 I've been having this problem on one of my machines for a while. As a
2 user or as root I cannot run chage:
3
4 $ chage -l marduk
5 chage: can't open password file
6
7 I've looked at /etc/passwd*, /etc/shadow* /etc/group* and /etc/gshadow*
8 and all the permissions look fine. It works on other machines. I even
9 tried re-emerging the shadow package, but still get the same error.
10
11 I tried running pwck thinking the password file was somehow currupt.
12 pwck only complains about users with invalid home directories/shells.
13 Oddly enough, 'pwck' runs w/o errors, but 'pwck -r' (read-only) gives.
14
15 pwck: cannot open file /etc/passwd
18 syslog shows:
19 Sep 17 10:07:49 [chage] failed opening /etc/passwd
20
21 I'm at a loss. Rebooting makes no difference. passwd seems to work
22 fine. I can open /etc/passwd myself (as root and user) just fine. Anyone
23 got any clues?
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list