From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Dell PowerEdge R715/R720
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 06:48:51
1 On 01/21/14 08:11, Johann Schmitz (ercpe) wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > we are planning to upgrade our virtualization infrastructure in the
5 > near future. We are currently looking at 2 Dell PowerEdge R720 or R715.
6 >
7 > The hardware (more or less):
8 > - Intel Xeon E5-2650v2
9 > - 24+ GB RAM
10 > - H710/H710P RAID controller
11 > - Broadcom 5719 or Intel I350 network adapter (quad-port)
12 >
13 > We definitely want to use Gentoo as the host system with virtual
14 > machines running on either xen or kvm on top of it (on local storage)
15 > but i'm fine with running another, "better supported" distribution as
16 > the host system.
17 >
18 > Has someone this or a similar system running on linux (preferrable
19 > Gentoo) and can give me some infos about the hardware support? I think
20 > the most interesting part are the NICs and the RAID controller.
21 >
22 > * From a quick tour through google it seems that the both NICs are
23 > supported. What about the hardware features like VLAN and Bonding/Teaming?
24 >
25 > * The H710* RAID controllers seem to be supported (megaraid) too. Can
26 > someone confirm this?
27 >
28 > * What about hardware sensors?
31 We use Dell servers exclusively and have for 15 years. I think we're up
32 to 400+ physical boxes now and the number of Linux-compatibility issues
33 in all that time is exactly zero :-)
34
35 If Dell sold server-class hardware that wasn't 100% supported in Linux,
36 their sales would suffer badly, they have a strong business model around
37 100% Linux support in the data center. So the odds are very much on your
38 side, but do your Google checks on the proposed hardware and verify.
39
40 Two tips I can give you:
41
42 1. Pick a server model that has an option to ship with RHEL
43 pre-installed, this indicates 100% Linux compatibility.
44
45 2. For VM hosts, look into the -R variant. We found them by pure chance
46 end of last year, they are the same model but with some stupid large
47 number of front drive bays (16?) mounted vertically. It's built with VM
48 servers in mind. For some reason the price was cheaper than the regular
49 R720 even with 16 drives installed! Maybe we just got lucky but nobody
50 here was going to query a bargain like that :-)
54 Alan McKinnon
55 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com