From: brettholcomb@×××××××××.net
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] safe devfs -> udev migration
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 19:06:25
1 I used the steps on the Gentoo docs. They also link to some udev site.
2
3 Essentially
4 1. Set up kernel not to autostart devfs (when everything is okay you can remove devfs from the kernel)
5 2. emerge udev
6 3. I modified /etc/conf.d/rc (I think it was) to have a devfs and a udev version. The udev version did not use the tarball and had another variable set.
7 4. Save the devfs rc and then copy the udev rc to rc
8 5. Reboot.
9
10 For me it worked.
13 > From: "Richard P. Groenewegen" <rpg@××××××.net>
14 > Date: 2005/07/19 Tue PM 01:10:10 EDT
15 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
16 > Subject: [gentoo-user] safe devfs -> udev migration
17 >
18 > All,
19 >
20 > During the gentoo installation I had very nasty error messages after
21 > the first reboot. The partition table of my harddisk was unreadable
22 > and the file system could not be mounted.
23 >
24 > Installation of devfs solved it, but, as I can tell from the mailing
25 > list devfs is obsolete.
26 >
27 > ** What is a safe way to migrate to udev? **
28 >
29 > I'd prefer to do only steps that are reversible, as the installation
30 > is now finished and it took a while. For your information, I have
31 > /dev support in my 2.6 kernel. Is it essential to remove /dev
32 > support?
33 >
34 > best regards,
35 > Richard