From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:04:59
1 On 30/09/2013 00:53, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-09-29 5:15 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Those numbers are not likely to change much with time, with one
4 >> exception:
5 >>
6 >> /usr/src
7 >>
8 >> That can get real big real quick if you don't clean up kernel sources
9 >> often. Ideally, you'd make that a suitably sized LV and mount it
10 >> seperately.
11 >
12 > Yeah, I always keep 2 or 3 known good kernels, and clean out the old
13 > stuff, so no worries there.
14 >
15 >> The other space consumer is /usr/share with it's many documentation
16 >> files. But those too tend to be stable once you have everything
17 >> installed. 5G free out of 19G is ~75% space in use which is perfectly
18 >> acceptable for this case.
19 >>
20 >> Regular monitoring of the state of your machines will tell you if space
21 >> usage increases so you can investigate and deal with it timeously.
22 >>
23 >> I assume you long since moved portage and it's storage directories out
24 >> of /usr into /var?
25 >
26 > Hmmm... No, I never did that myself...
27 >
28 > Wow...
29 >
30 > moria : Sun Sep 29, 18:19:01 : ~
31 > # du -sh /usr/*
32 > 85M /usr/bin
33 > 131M /usr/include
34 > 0 /usr/lib
35 > 11M /usr/lib32
36 > 530M /usr/lib64
37 > 51M /usr/libexec
38 > 15M /usr/local
39 > 7.8G /usr/portage
40 > 21M /usr/sbin
41 > 509M /usr/share
42 > 3.9G /usr/src
43 > 0 /usr/tmp
44 > 7.0M /usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
45 > moria : Sun Sep 29, 18:26:30 : ~
46 > #
47
48 Apart from portage and src that all looks totally normal and unlikely to
49 vary much over time.
53 > Is this the official gentoo way now? Will a new/fresh virgin install
54 > have /var/portage instead of /usr/portage?
55
56 The new instaled default is to put all of portage on /var, whilst still
57 supporting old installs on /usr. This is no big deal in code, as it's
58 really just a string containing a base path
61 > I can eliminate almost 8GB by moving portage and its storage directories...
62
63 Or move them onto a dedictaed LV. This is a case where a different mount
64 point makes a lot of sense - we're all aware just how unique the tree is
65 in terms of fs performance - thousands of small files mostly smaller
66 than 2k in hundreds of directories. It's quite different to everything
67 else on /usr or even /var.
68
69 Same with distfiles, that too can move anywhere you want it to be, just
70 adjust one setting in make.conf
71
72 > I don't recall seeing a news item about that...
73
74 IIRC it wasn't a news item as such. Perhaps it was an elog from portage
75 itself.
79 > But... is /usr/portage the default/recommended location? If so, then I
80 > don't think I want to move it - I generally never change defaults unless
81 > there is a very good reason to do so.
82
83 It's /var/portage for new installs. If you want it to be somewhere else,
84 just move it and adjust make.conf
88 > But, is there some official gentoo docs online explaining how to do this?
89 >
90 > Something more to think about...
91 >
92 > Also - is there any kind of maintenance I shoudl be doing on
93 > /usr/portage to clean old cruft out? Or does portage maintain it already.
94
95 rsync takes care of all that.
96 You have eclean to keep distfiles tidy
97 binpkgs you need to clean up on your own, as portage has no way of
98 knowing what you want to keep. And local overlays fall in the same category
102 Alan McKinnon
103 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com