From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning up perl
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 15:09:37
1 On 9/9/07, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am Samstag, 8. September 2007 schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:
4 > > On 9/8/07, Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de> wrote:
5 > > > Am Samstag, 8. September 2007 schrieb Kevin O'Gorman:
6 > > > > Unfortunately, while it tries to do a number of things, they all
7 > fail
8 > > > > in the same way: a problem with Errno.pm.
9 > > > > I guess using perl to clean up perl is not all that robust in this
10 > > > > case.
11 > > >
12 > > > I still prefer good old cpan over gentoo' g-cpan to mainatain perl
13 > > > modules.
14 > > >
15 > > > Before upgrading perl, fire up cpan, create a bundle file of all your
16 > > > installed modules using the autobundle command and after the upgrade,
17 > > > start
18 > > > cpan again and run "install Bundle::Snapshot-<date>".
19 > > >
20 > > > I also use it to keep installed perl modules uptodate. Just use the
21 > > > "upgrade"
22 > > > command in cpan.
23 > > >
24 > > > If you did this, you can simply remove the old 5.8.x directories.
25 > >
26 > > It's too late for me now to do any of that.
27 >
28 > No, not really. You only need perl to run cpan.
29 >
30 > > I can build perl, but I cannot run perl-cleaner.
31 >
32 > You don't need to. Remove the old 5.8.x directories and install the
33 > modules
34 > you had installed there again (if needed), using cpan this time. You can
35 > find
36 > out which packages were installed by searching for files named
37 > ".packlist".
38 > Each directory which contains such a file corresponds to one perl module.
39 >
40 > Eventually re-emerge perl after removal of the old directories. This
41 > should
42 > clean up your perl installation.
43 >
44 > HTH...
45 >
46 > Dirk
49 I eventually got most things back by removing the site-perl version of
50 Errno.pm (installed by CPAN sometime in the past, I think.) There was
51 another, more recent version which was apparently found automatically,
52 allowing things to proceed. I have also removed a bunch of other things
53 that were in site-perl, especially everything I could replace with a version
54 from portage.
55
56 I have now been able to run 'perl-cleaner reallyall', and have rebuilt perl
57 both with and without the ithreads USE-flag (see separate thread). So I
58 suppose I'm now in good shape. CPAN also works, though I'm a bit reluctant
59 to use it since that's how I got in this mess in the first place. I'd
60 rather rely on portage to keep things current and consistent. Hmmmm.
61 Does anyone know how to run CPAN in a cron job, just enough to run the 'r'
62 command? I do that with portage to tell me when I have to worry about
63 revdep or depclean.
64
65 ++ kevin
68 Kevin O'Gorman, PhD