From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Reproducible Installation Lists?
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2022 16:42:04
1 On Saturday, 26 February 2022 14:19:15 GMT Ramces Tampo-og Red wrote:
2
3 --->8
4
5 > After reading the responses in the thread, this appears to be one way to
6 > do it. Though I think adding it to a set could be a cleaner way? I
7 > haven't tried all of the suggestions yet.
8
9 In passing, I thought I'd mention that I keep most of my packages in sets:
10 core, base, xorg, plasma, apps and utils. My world file only gets used for
11 temporary or experimental things: it has one entry at the moment.
12
13 I did that because of the frequency of reinstalling the system during the
14 worst of plasma's instability.
15
16 > > Oh - and for quite a while I used the -b -k flags a lot, mostly emerging
17 > > on the slower system actually then installing the binary on the fast
18 > > one. Sounds odd, but the faster, newer system had a habit of crashing
19 > > during an emerge ... Both systems now gone to the Computer Centre in the
20 > > Sky :-)
21 >
22 > That is certainly odd. You would assume that the faster system would be
23 > the one compiling stuff for the slower one. I've been thinking of buying
24 > a couple of old desktops for the sole purpose of being distcc slaves but
25 > I don't know how much that would improve the compile times.
26
27 Counter-intuitive, to say the least, and certainly not the way I do it.
30 Regards,
31 Peter.