From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT]: Powering off Windows XP, crashing NTFS with a Live CD.
Date: Sun, 03 Jul 2011 10:35:09
1 Hi, Gentoo.
2
3 There's been a cock and bull story on comp.os.linux.setup and I'm
4 wondering about some of the details. Mainly, I'd like some education,
5 please!
6
7 The story, in essence:
8 (i) Windows XP is running, with a normal NTFS filesystem(s).
9 (ii) Power off without a proper shutdown.
10 (iii) Start again with a Linux Live CD (distribution not specified).
11 (iv) This corrupts the NTFS journal(s).
12 (v) It is now difficult to start Windows.
13
14 OK. My questions:
15 o - Do live CDs actually mount filesystems on HDDs?
16 o - If so, would the start-up actually write anything to a partition?
17 o - Would this actually try to mount an NTFS filesystem?
18 o - Given that Linux's NTFS doesn't (?yet) do journaling (see kernel
19 docs), would the driver not detect the presence of a journal and leave
20 well alone?
23 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).