From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde schema colors problem
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 22:32:48
1 On 9/5/06, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > Well maybe this (ls) schema color issue I'm seeing is related to a recent
5 > vim colors question...not sure?
6
7 Probably not. That was specific to editing perl code, and vim uses a
8 different mechanism of coloring than ls, cp, et al.
9
10 > ON a newly installed system (2006.1) (amd-K8) the dir content listing (ls)
11 > is all white (various file types and dirs). I display only the
12 > current dir of my path as part of my prompt. When I cd into a dir,
13 > the path changes color (blue) like it should.
14
15 Getting colors in ls output requires a couple of things to occur:
16
17 1. Aliases for ls and grep to add the "--color=auto" option. Of
18 course you could do this yourself by running "ls --color=auto", but it
19 is normally aliased in your ~/.bashrc. If you are not getting colors,
20 first check that the aliases are defined correctly by running "alias".
21 You should see:
22
23 alias ls='ls --color=auto'
24
25 2. The --color option doesn't really work unless the dircolors command
26 is used to define what colors are available. Again, this is normally
27 done in your ~/.bashrc, which should contain the following line, in
28 addition to the alias commands:
29
30 # colors for ls, etc.
31 eval `dircolors -b /etc/DIR_COLORS`
32
33 3. Your TERM type must be known to dircolors. This means that
34 whatever $TERM contains, there should be a TERM line for that in
35 /etc/DIR_COLORS.
36
37 Note that the bash prompt coloring is done in /etc/bash/bashrc,
38 sourced by /etc/profile. You should read those to understand exactly
39 how that part of it works. If the bash coloring works, but not
40 ls/grep coloring, I suspect you are not using the standard .bashrc
41 provided by /etc/skel/.bashrc.
42
43 -Richard
44 --