From: Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] browser advice
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:48:20
1 On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, David Blamire-Brown wrote:
4 > 1) This version of Opera really seems to struggle with "heavy" pages.
5 > The whole app slows down, no response to clicks etc, until the page has
6 > fully rendered. Example of affected page:
7 > http://funds.ft.com/funds/searchFund.do?symb=AQSTG&type=F1
8 I tried it just now. It took more than 1s to load, but otherwise it
9 seems normal.
10 >
11 > 2) Opera infrequently causes my system to hang completely. I can't ctrl
12 > +alt+F1 to a terminal screen, I can ctrl+alt+backspace to kill X, I
13 > can't do anything. It's a hard reboot of the box. Admittedly I'm
14 > slightly impatient, but I give it 10 secs before hitting reset,
15 > sometimes longer. I can't categorically state that it's Opera, but I've
16 > a very strong suspicion. Especially given that I basically use an
17 > xterm, sylpheed and opera 95% of the time.
18 This one seems serious. It's a show stopper if it starts happening...
19 >
20 > 3) Javascript seems fairly broken in Opera - but that could be my fault
21 > for not setting something up properly.
22 There's an extension for FF that blocks javaspoock but allows temporary
23 unblocking, on-the-fly, for the current site. This is one of the few
24 things I'll miss.
25 >
26 > 4) Some pages just don't render properly in Opera and I have occasion
27 > to fall back to firefox. As another poster said, it's often badly
28 > designed banking sites.
29 >
30 > 5) Overall though, IMO Opera is a nicer browser to use than firefox.
31 > Tabbed browsing is implemented in a more effective fashion. Keyboard
32 > shortcuts are lovely, eg F2 to bring a dialog for typing a URL, which
33 > can be configured to fire up a new tab is very nice. Shift+F2 allows
34 > you to have a one key shortcut for favourite bookmarks (again firing
35 > up a new tab). Sidebar is far more effective in Opera. Obviously
36 > personal preference, but I much prefer it.
39 Regards,
40
41 Jorge
42 --